- 2 cups fresh or frozen berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, or a combination)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey (optional)
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- In a small saucepan, add the berries and cook over low heat until they start to break down, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the chia seeds and stir well to combine.
- If you prefer a sweeter jam, you can add maple syrup or honey to taste.
- Add the lemon juice and continue to cook for another 5 minutes until the jam thickens.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Use a blender or immersion blender to blend the jam until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Pour the jam into a jar and let it cool completely before storing it in the fridge.
This healthy jam is a great way to add more fruit and fiber to your child’s diet without the added sugars and preservatives found in store-bought jams. The chia seeds also provide a boost of omega-3 fatty acids, protein, and fiber. You can spread the jam on toast, pancakes, or waffles, or use it as a topping for yogurt or oatmeal.